Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Spielberg's dark obssession with aliens and robots revealed!

As I've continued to work on my review for "Super 8" (coming soon I assure you!), I thought to myself, "Man, Spielberg sure likes his alien movies." Off the top of my head I recalled "E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial," "Close Encounters of the Third Kind," the remake of "War of the Worlds," plus he had aliens show up in both "A.I.: Artificial Intelligence" and "Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull." And then I checked his IMDB page......

Films Spielberg has directed that somehow involve alien beings:
1964 - Firelight
1977 - Close Encounters of the Third Kind
1982 - E.T. - The Extraterrestrial
2001 - A.I. - Artificial Intelligence
2005 - War of the Worlds
2008 - Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Well nothing at all alarming there right? I mean the guy has done "Jurassic Park," "JAWS," "Schindler's List," "Saving Private Ryan," and an entire spectrum of films from nearly every genre. But then you look at the films he has produced / is producing, and the alarm bells start going off.

He's smiling because he's thinking of aliens and robots right at this very minute!
Films and TV series that Spielberg has produced, that somehow involve aliens:
1982 - E.T. - The Extraterrestrial
1987 - *batteries not included
1997 - Men in Black
2001 - Evolution
2001 - A.I. - Artificial Intelligence
2002 - Taken (one episode)
2002- Men In Black II
2007 - Transformers
2009 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
2011 - Super 8
2011 - Terra Nova (Pilot episode)
2011 - Transformers: Dark of the Moon
2011 - Cowboys and Aliens
2011 - Falling Skies (8 episodes)
2012 - Men in Black 3

And let's not forget the Spielberg-produced remake of "When Worlds Collide" that is coming out next year. No aliens, but humanity is about to be taken out by a rogue planet. However, there's a second, life-sustaining planet riding shotgun with it. Will some people (enough to repopulate) manage to make it to the other planet before Earth is eradicated?! 

In any case, one really has to wonder.... what is Spielberg's sudden obsession with alien movies?!?!
There is only one answer: SPIELBERG IS AN ALIEN!
Also, Steven seems to have a spin-off obsession with robots now as well. Once again, allow me to list some films to prove this point:

Spielberg-directed robot movies:
1971 - Duel (I'm grasping here, but c'mon, it has a killer truck! It could be a robot in disguise...)
2001 - A.I. Artificial Intelligence
2002 - Minority Report (spider-bots!)
2005 - War of the Worlds (the alien "tripods")
2013 - Robopocalypse

Spielberg-produced robot movies:
1987 - *batteries not included
2001 - A.I. - Artificial Intelligence
2007 - Transformers
2009 - Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen
2011 - Transformers: Dark of the Moon
2011 - Real Steel (Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Robots: the Movie!)
2013 - Robopocalypse

Ok yeah I may be really reaching here, but there's no denying that The Spielberg has suddenly gotten a huge hardon for robots and aliens lately. I'm not really complaining though because I too enjoy robot and alien cinema (which this has been a landmark year for), but I have to admit that its a bit eerie that he's directing and producing so many in so short a time. If you're worried about aliens, then continue to watch the skies. Me? I'm going to watch The Spielberg instead.....

No comments:

Post a Comment